Editorial Simplified : 08th Day of June 2016
This Series of posts covers the essential Editorial from prominent newspapers. The Editorial from the newspapers are compiled by the Subject Teachers form the Academy and provided in notes format so that the aspirants does not waste their precious time in sifting through the newspapers.
The aspirants are advised to bookmark this page for future reference
Click on the tab below to read the Editorial Simplified for each newspaper
[accordion_content accordion_label=”Indian Express”]
Editorial : More Rajan
Presenting the monetary policy review Reserve Bank Governor Raghuram Rajan kept policy rates unchanged.
Fear of inflation
- Since the last review in April, inflation, especially consumer price index inflation, has firmed up.
- RBI’s three-month inflation expectations survey of households showed that people do not expect inflation to go down substantially.
- Fear of firming of international commodity prices like crude oil and implementation of the Seventh Central Pay Commission awards
- Extraneous factors as well, such as the possibility of a rate hike the Federal Reserve, as well as the uncertainty surrounding the possible British exit from the European Union.
- His single-minded focus on containing inflation by keeping the interest rates high that has contributed to India weathering the global economic maelstrom.
- He also brought about long-pending structural reforms in the banking sector.
- Rajan has been a voice of reason on matters of fiscal policy.
Editorial : House matters
There is unprecedented political activity in several states ahead of elections to 57 Rajya Sabha seats on June 11.
- A sting operation in Karnataka showed MLAs negotiating cash and other incentives in lieu of votes.
- The Constitution conceived of the Rajya Sabha as a House of States, where elders representing their state of domicile participate in the law making process while also keeping a check on theLok Sabha
- In 2003, the Representation of the People Act, 1951, was amended and the requirement of domicile for candidates contesting the Rajya Sabha election was dispensed with.
- Parties now see the Rajya Sabha as a House to park unelectable or defeated candidates from states where they have legislative strength.
- The political heft of the Rajya Sabha may have risen, but the federal character expected of the House has been lost in the process.
Importnce of Rajya Sabha
- The Rajya Sabha deserves special attention now since it has effectively become the real arena for the government-opposition contest in Parliament.
- The role of the Upper House as a bulwark against the lower house forcing its majority on legislative business is enhanced.
We at RMISG would appreciate your feedback and comments below. This will help us to know more about your doubts and provide you with even better experience on the website. Do take few minutes and give us your feedback in the comments section below.
Just Scroll down to give your feedback NOW.