As per Unified-District Information System For Education (UDISE) 2015-16, the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) of boys and girls at secondary level is 79.16 % and 80.97% respectively and GER of boys and girls at Senior Secondary level is 55.95% and 56.41% respectively.
GER | Analysis
- There is no massive gap in the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) of boys and girls at secondary and senior secondary level in the country.
- In case of higher education, GER of girls is marginally lower than that of boys at all India level and also in respect of most of the States.
- Lower GER of girls in higher education as compared to that of boys could be attributed to factors such as social, cultural and religious beliefs, attitudes and practices, poverty and poor learning environment.
GER | Government initiatives
- Under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA), universalisation of secondary education envisages enhancing the enrolment ratio by providing a secondary school within a reasonable distance of every habitation, improving quality of education imparted at secondary level through making all secondary schools conform to prescribed norms, removal of gender, socio-economic and disability barriers.
- The scheme provides for classrooms, science laboratory, library, computer room, art/craft/culture room, toilets, drinking water facilities etc. in new/upgradation and existing secondary schools.
- Further, interventions like survey and identification of out of school children, awareness programmes, remedial teaching for learning enhancement, self-defence training for girls, provision of girls’ toilets, introduction of vocational education at Secondary stage, etc. have also been supported under RMSA to improve access to school education.
- In order to encourage girls’ students for pursuing higher education, the Government is implementing scholarship/fellowship programmes for them to supplement the cost of education. For increasing participation of girls in higher education ‘Construction of Women’s hostels for colleges’ scheme is also being implemented.