The report of Justice Ashok Kumar Roopanwal (Retd.) Commission of Inquiry along with memorandum of Action Taken thereon has been laid before both the houses of Parliament.
Commission of Inquiry | About
Justice Ashok Kumar Roopanwal commission was formed by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development to inquire into Rohith Vemula’s suicide.
Commission of Inquiry | Recommendations accepted by the Government
- The university should evolve a mechanism where the students can appeal in case there is any excess by the university.
- Counselling Centres consisting of professionally trained counsellors should be set up which shall provide services to students, research scholars and faculty including non-teaching staff.
- Monitoring Committees should be constituted which should be headed by the supervisors who would provide guidance on the matters related to the subjects studied by the students.
- Equal opportunity cell headed by the Anti-discrimination Officer as per the UGC (Promotion of Equity in Higher Educational Institutions) Regulations 2012 should be made functional.
- Grievance Redressal Committee headed by the Ombudsman as per the UGC (Grievance Redressal) Regulations 2012 should be made effective.
- All the directives in the orders passed by the High Court of Andhra Pradesh in PIL No. 106/2013 should be implemented.
- Strong induction programme for better acclimatisation.
- Establish (as far as possible) local guardian system for outstation students.
- Grievances to be discussed and dispensed with on weekly basis and Vice Chancellor to hold meetings on monthly basis.
- Remedial teaching for academically weak students.
- Deans to closely monitor Department problems. Any serious issue to be brought to the notice of Vice Chancellor immediately.
- University to select suitable student volunteers to act as mentors and help freshers.
- Effective administration and supervision of Hostels and strict compliance of Hostel Admission Rules and Regulations so that only current students allotted hostel accommodation by the University stay in the hostels.