An amount of Rs.6 crores was sanctioned for the project Sagar Parikarma 1 including Rs.4.3 crores for construction of the boat, Mhadei. An amount of Rs. 72 lakhs was sanctioned for ‘Sagar Parikarma 2’
About Project Sagar Parikarma
- Project ‘Sagar Parikarma’ was launched in 2007.
- The objective of the project was solo-circumnavigation of the Globe in a sailboat.
- This was successfully accomplished in 2009-10 by a Naval Officer.
- After the success of ‘Sagar Parikarma I’, in 2012-13, ‘Sagar Parikarma II’ was undertaken with a solo ‘non-stop’ circumnavigation by another Naval Officer.
- To inspire the youths of India to develop an understanding of the sea and a sense of adventure and spirit.
- To instill in the young officers of the Navy a sense of national pride and achievement through a successful solo-circumnavigation voyage.