Recognizing the potential and possibilities in the fisheries sector, Government of India has envisaged a program named Fingerling under the ‘’Blue Revolution’’ to unlock the country’s latent potential through an integrated approach.
About the Blue Revolution
- The Blue Revolution, in its scope and reach, focuses on creating an enabling environment for an integrated and holistic development and management of fisheries for the socio economic development of the fishers and fish farmers.
- Thrust areas have been identified for enhancing fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt by 2020-21.
- Greater emphasis will be on infrastructure with an equally strong focus on management and conservation of the resources through technology transfer to increase in the income of the fishers and fish farmers.
- Productivity enhancement shall also be achieved through employing the best global innovations and integration of various production oriented activities such as: Production of quality fish seeds, Cost effective feed and adoption of technology etc.
About Fish Fingerling Mission
- Fish Fingerling production is the single most important critical input visualised to achieve fish production targets under the Blue Revolution.
- We need to establish more hatchery to produce Fry/PL required for different categories of water bodies. Barring few States that’s to in terms of fry (15-20 mm size), all States are in need of Fingerling production (standard size 80-100 mm).
- Use of High Yielding Verities of brooders is another significant aspect to be addressed on priority.
Fingerling | Highlights
- Government has identified 20 States based on their potential and other relevant factors to strengthen the Fish Seed infrastructure in the country.
- This program with a total expenditure of about Rs. 52000 lakhs will facilitate the establishment of hatcheries and Fingerling rearing pond to ensure the fish production of 426 crores fish fingerling, 25.50 crores Post Larvae of shrimp and crab in the country.
- This will converge in the production of 20 lakh tonnes of fish annually and will benefit about 4 million families.
- The implementation of this program will supplement the requirement of stocking materials in the country up to a large extent, which is a much needed input to achieve the enhanced fish production.