Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment inaugurated a “National Conference on Down Syndrome” in the presence of Ministers of State for SJ&E Shri Krishan Pal Gurjar and Shri Vijay Sampla here today.
- Down Syndrome is a chromosomal condition associated with intellectual and learning disabilities.
- Delayed development and behavioural problems are often reported in children with Down Syndrome.
- Persons with Down Syndrome have 47 chromosomes as compared to 46 in majority of people.
- This one Extra chromosome causes its own impact and slows down learning process.
- It impacts neurological functioning causing impairment of intellectual functions e.g. analytical thinking, complex abstractions and judgement etc.
- Good schooling, loving family, learning and work opportunities make them grow up to be responsible, loving and cheerful persons.
- Their emotions and needs are like any other person of the same age. Accepting and respecting family/community is a big support to their growth and development.
For more information keep visiting Raj Malhotra IAS Academy