Editorial Simplified : 29th Day of March 2017
This Series of posts covers the essential Editorial from prominent newspapers. The Editorial from the newspapers are compiled by the Subject Teachers form the Academy and provided in notes format so that the aspirants does not waste their precious time in sifting through the newspapers.
Editorial : Unique distinction
The use, misuse, overuse of Aadhaar and its legal fate
- Recently, the government made amendments to the Finance Bill of 2017 making Aadhaar mandatory for all applications for PAN (Permanent Account Number) cards and filing of income tax returns.
- Last week the Department of Telecommunications directed all telecom service providers to re-verify the credentials of their nearly 100 crore subscribers through an Aadhaar-based, electronically authenticated Know Your Customer process within a year.
- The Supreme Court reiterated its position on Aadhaar stating that no beneficiary of a welfare scheme shall be denied benefits due to her for want of an Aadhaar number but the government is free to “press” for Aadhaar for ‘non-welfare’ transactions or activities including filing income tax returns, opening bank accounts or getting a mobile phone connection.
- The SC’s observation dispels some ambiguity and sets the stage for the 12-digit Unique Identification (UID) numbers being used as the basic identity proof for all residents
- There are some concerns over the privacy of the data so collected. We need an effective law to mitigate that risk.
- The apex court has now to take a call whether the process for Aadhaar enrolment is violative of the right to privacy.
- The centre for its part should stick to the mandate allowed by the SC’s oral observations yesterday and interim order passed in October 2015 and should not push for Aadhaar identification for availing welfare benefits.
We at RMISG would appreciate your feedback and comments below. This will help us to know more about your doubts and provide you with even better experience on the website. Do take few minutes and give us your feedback in the comments section below.
To Download the pdf : Click Here
Just Scroll down to give your feedback NOW.