Government notified the National Manufacturing Policy (NMP) on 4th November, 2011 with the objective of enhancing the share of manufacturing in GDP to 25% and creating 100 million jobs over a decade or so. National Investment and Manufacturing Zones – NIMZ are one of the important instruments of the Policy to achieve its objectives. So far Government has granted ‘in-principle’ approval to the fourteen NIMZ (outside the DMIC region).
List of NIMZ
- Nagpur in Maharashtra
- Prakasam in Andhra Pradesh
- Chittoor in Andhra Pradesh
- Medak in Telangana
- Hyderabad Pharma NIMZ at Rangareddy and Mahabubnagar Districts in Telangana.
- Tumkur in Karnataka
- Kolar in Karnataka
- Bidar in Karnataka
- Gulbarga in Karnataka
- Kalinganagar, Jajpur District in Odisha
- Ramanathapuram District of Tamil Nadu
- Ponneri Taluk, Thiruvallur District, Tamil Nadu
- Auraiya District in Uttar Pradesh and
- Jhansi District in Uttar Pradesh
Of these, the NIMZ at Prakasam in Andhra Pradesh; Medak in Telangana and Kalinganagar, Jajpur district in Odisha have been granted final approval.
Eight Investment Regions along the Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC) project have also been announced as NIMZs.
- Ahmedabad-Dholera Investment Region, Gujarat
- Shendra-Bidkin Industrial Park city near Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- Manesar-Bawal Investment Region, Haryana
- Khushkhera-Bhiwadi-Neemrana Investment Region, Rajasthan
- Pithampur-Dhar-Mhow Investment Region, Madhya Pradesh
- Dadri-Noida-Ghaziabad Investment Region, Uttar Pradesh
- Dighi Port Industrial Area, Maharashtra; and
- Jodhpur-Pali-Marwar Region in Rajasthan