Android vulnerable to cyberattack : MHA
The Union Home Ministry has sent an alert to all States warning them about the vulnerability of the Android operating system to a bug called ‘StrandHogg’ that allows real-time malware applications to pose as genuine applications and access user data of all kind.
- These malware can then potentially listen to their conversations, access photo album, read/send messages, make calls, record conversations and get login credentials to various accounts.
- The information was shared by the Threat Analytical Unit, Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre, Ministry of Home Affairs.
Prime Minister chairs first meeting of National Ganga Council
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi chaired the first meeting of the National Ganga Council in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh recently.
- The Council has been given overall responsibility for superintendence of pollution prevention and rejuvenation of River Ganga Basin, including Ganga and its tributaries.
- The first meeting of the Council was aimed at reinforcing the importance of a ‘Ganga-centric’ approach in all departments of the concerned states as well as relevant Central Ministries.
Clean Ganga Fund –
The Government has set up the Clean Ganga Fund (CGF) to facilitate contributions from individuals, NRIs, corporate entities for funding Ganga rejuvenation projects.
About National Ganga Council –
- National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga is an authority created in October 2016 under the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016, dissolving the National Ganga River Basin Authority.
- In this backdrop, National Ganga Council has been established as an authority and National Mission for Clean Ganga has been also converted into an authority.
- The jurisdiction of the National Ganga Council shall extend to the States comprising River Ganga Basin, namely, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Haryana, and the National Capital Territory of Delhi and such other States, having major tributaries of the River Ganga as the National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga may decide for the purpose of effective abatement of pollution and rejuvenation, protection and management of the River Ganga.
- The National Ganga Council will be overall responsible for the superintendence, direction, development and control of River Ganga and the entire River Basin (including financial and administrative matters) for the protection, prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in River Ganga and its rejuvenation to its natural and pristine condition and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water in the River Ganga and for matters connected therewith.
Composition of National Ganga Council –
Prime Minister will be the ex-officio Chairperson for the council
Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation will be the ex-officio Vice-Chairperson.
The ex-officio members of the council.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change
- Union Minister for Finance
- Union Minister for Urban Development
- Union Minister for Rural Development
- Union Minister for Power, Union Minister for Science and Technology
- Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Union Minister of State for Tourism
- Union Minister for Shipping
- Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog
- Chief Ministers of Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal
Secretary to Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation will be The Director General of National Mission for Clean Ganga will serve as the ex-officio Member Secretary.
The Headquarter of the National Ganga Council shall be at New Delhi or at such other place as it may decide. The council shall have its Secretariat in the National Mission for Clean Ganga. The Central Government in the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation shall serve as the nodal Ministry.