NPR – House to house verification proposed
Union government has proposed to update the National Population Register (NPR), which already has an electronic database of more than 119 crore residents, by verifying the details of all respondents through house-to-house enumeration.
The NPR exercise has become controversial because the Citizenship Rules, 2003, link the Population Register to the creation of a National Register of Indian Citizens (NRIC) or National Register of Citizens.
What is National Population Register?
- The NPR is a register of usual residents of the country.
- It is mandatory for every usual resident of India to register in the NPR.
- It includes both Indian citizens as well as a foreign citizen.
- The objective of the NPR is to create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident in the country.
- The first National Population Register was prepared in 2010 and updating this data was done during 2015 by conducting door to door survey.
- The next update of the NPR will take place next year from April to September with the House-listing phase of the Census 2021.
- It is being prepared at the local (Village/sub-Town), sub-District, District, State and National level under provisions of the Citizenship Act 1955 and the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003.
China, Russia and Iran to hold naval drills in Gulf of Oman
GS 2 International Relations
China, Russia and Iran will hold joint naval drills in the Gulf of Oman at a time of heightened tensions since the U.S. withdrew from a landmark nuclear deal with Tehran.
Why is it important?
Seen as a regional counter to the QUAD, this naval drill has the potential to be a concern for the QUAD member grouping in the Indo-Pacific.
Quality Mandate in Higher Educational Institutions
GS 2 Governance
Union Human Resource Development Ministry has launched the 5 documents developed by UGC covering the 5 verticals of Quality Mandate.
These five documents cover evaluation reforms, eco-friendly and sustainable university campuses, human values & professional ethics, faculty induction and academic research integrity.
Other such measures –
- Recognising the need to discuss and streamline the process that helps to infuse the culture of human values and ethics in educational institutions, UGC has also developed a policy framework- “Mulya Pravah – Guidelines for Inculcation of Human values and Professionals Ethics in Higher Educational Institutions”.
- SATAT – Framework for Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Campusdevelopment in Higher Educational Institutions. It aims to enhance the environmental quality of the campus and to adopt sustainable green and sustainable methods in its future.
- Guru-Dakshta – A guide to Faculty Induction Programme (FIP) aims to fulfil the objective to sensitise and motivate the faculty to adopt learner centred approaches, ICT integrated learning and new pedagogic approaches to teaching-learning, assessment tools in higher education.