Gaganyaan, Chandrayaan-3 in mission mode, says ISRO
ISRO has announced that four pilots from Indian Air Force have been selected for training in Russia. ISRO has also quietly started work for another soft landing mission to the moon with most of the same features of Chandrayaan-2.
About Gaganyaan Mission –
- Gaganyaan is the ₹10,000-crore Indian human space flight scheduled for 2022.
- It is designed to have 3-7 crew members spend 3-7 days in space in a 400-km orbit.
- GSLV Mk III, also called the LVM-3 (Launch Vehicle Mark-3) the three-stage heavy lift launch vehicle, will be used to launch Gaganyaan as it has the necessary payload capability.
- Under the Gaganyaan schedule, three flights will be sent in orbit. Of the three, there will be two unmanned flights and one human spaceflight.
About Chandrayaan-2 Mission –
- The mission targeted the “South Polar region” of the Moon which was completely unexplored.
- Chandrayaan 2 was considered as a challenging mission as the South Polar Region of the Moon was totally unexplored by any space agency before.
- The Chandrayaan 2 consisted of three modules – 1. Lunar Orbiter; 2. Vikram lander (named after Vikram Sarabhai, the late father of India’s space program); 3. Lunar rover named Pragyan.
- All of the above parts were developed in India.
Bhima-Koregaon battle anniversary
At least 8 lakh paid their tributes at the ‘Jaystambh’ (victory pillar) in Perne village in Pune District of Maharashtra on the occasion of 202nd anniversary of the Bhima-Koregaon battle.
About Bhima-Koregaon Battle –
- The Bhima-Koregaon obelisk is dedicated to the Mahar soldiers who fought against the Peshwa forces in the 1818 battle.
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar’s visit on January 1, 1927 made it a rallying point and an assertion of pride for the Dalit community.
- The battle was between the Peshwa forces and the British on January 1, 1818. The British army, which comprised mainly of Dalit soldiers, fought the upper caste-dominated Peshwa army. The British troops defeated the Peshwa army.
Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System (PPRTS)
PPRTS has gone online since the start of the new year 2020.
Features of PPRTS –
- In order to enable applicants to track the status of the application, the Election Commission has launched a “Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System (PPRTMS)”.
- The salient feature in the PPRTMS is that the applicant, who is applying for party registration from 1st January, 2020 will be able to track the progress of his/her application and will get status update through SMS and e-mail.
- The status can be tracked through the Commission’s web portal.
About registration of political parties –
- Registration of political parties is governed by the provisions of Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- An association seeking registration under the said Section has to submit an application to the Commission within a period of 30 days following the date of its formation, as per the guidelines prescribed by the Commission in exercise of the powers conferred by Article 324 of the Constitution of India and Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
Swarna Jayanti Fellowships awarded
Swarna Jayanti Fellowships have been awarded to 14 Scientists associated with projects containing innovative research idea and with potential of making impact on R&D in the respective disciplines.
About Swarna Jayanti Fellowships –
- The Swarna Jayanti Fellowships scheme was instituted by Government of India to commemorate India’s fiftieth year of independence.
- Under this scheme, a selected number of young scientists, with proven track record, are provided special assistance and support to enable them to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology.
- The awardees are supported by Department of Science & Technology, for fellowship and research.
- This will cover all the requirements for performing the research and include a fellowship of Rs 25,000/- per month as well as a research grant of 5 lakh Rupees for 5 years in addition to their salary.